Greycroft Stone Circle, Seascale, UK
Grey Croft stone circle
A short distance north of Seascale, on a quiet pasture within Seascale How Farm, and only a few hundred metres from the sea, stands a ring of stones some 30 metres in diameter, with 10 stones, some reaching nearly two metres high. They are hard agglomerates of the Borrowdale volcanic series, apart from one which is sandstone. Ten of the original 12 stones remain. There is one outlier stone, at a distance of 34 metres.
In 1820, the farmer James Fox buried all but one of the stones , without the permission of the landowner, because they impeded his ploughing. In 1949 they were unearthed by Mr W Fletcher and the boys of Pelham House School, at Calderbridge, and restored to their original positions. They also found Bronze age artifacts, flints, stone axes and a (Whitby) jet ring. Red granite cobbles of a burial cairn were found within the circle. The finds are in the Tullie House Museum, Carlisle.